The IWK Cystic Fibrosis (CF) Clinic provides multi-disciplinary care for infants, children, and youth diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis. The clinic has a Maritime mandate, so we care for patients with CF and their families from Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.
Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic disease that mainly affects the lungs and digestive systems. Both parents must carry a gene for CF, however, carriers do not have any symptoms of the disease. When the child inherits a CF gene from each parent, they will be born with CF.
How we help
Cystic Fibrosis is diagnosed by a sweat test, which measures the amount of salt in the sweat. The diagnosis is also confirmed by the presence of symptoms related to CF and genetic testing. The most common signs and symptoms of CF are a cough, frequent respiratory infections, thick mucous in the airways, a large appetite with poor weight gain, frequent smelly stools, failure to thrive and a salty taste on the skin.
Our team regularly follows patients and their families at the Cystic Fibrosis Clinic. The CF Team travels throughout the Maritimes providing a travelling clinic service to patients and families closer to home.
The CF Clinic provides education and resources to patients, families, and health care providers. Our team members are also active in various CF research projects, coordinate a private teen facebook page, as well as a private parent facebook page.
To fully prepare for your child’s visit, please be sure to bring along:
- your child's health card
- your appointment letter
- a List of medications
- any medications needed during your visit
- name and telephone number of your referring physician and/or family physician
- health insurance information
- a list of questions you and/or your child may have for the physician. Also, remember to ask for any instructions from the doctor or letters of medical necessity that you may need for school our your child's family physicians/pediatrician.
- books, games, snacks (peanut free), diapers, change of baby clothes, or other necessities.