- $1-Million donation from Bell Let’s Talk to support emergency mental health care within redeveloped IWK Emergency Department / IWK Foundation October 4, 2023
- $1-Million donation from J.D. Irving, Limited to help redevelop the IWK Emergency Department / IWK Foundation September 20, 2023
- Irving Oil, Arthur L. Irving Family Foundation and Arthur, Sandra & Sarah Irving Donate $6 Million / IWK Foundation November 16, 2022
- IWK Health Centre works toward more efficient, comfortable emergency department / Saltwire May 5, 2022
- New Emergency Department Taking Shape at IWK Health Centre / Global News May 3, 2022
- EllisDon awarded contract for health centre project in Nova Scotia / Daily Commercial News February 7, 2022
- Work underway at IWK Emergency Department Expansion Site / Government of NS December 20, 2021
- Government Invests in IWK Emergecy Department Expansion / Government of NS February 5, 2021
- Total project budget - $127 million
- Construction start date - January 2022
- Construction completion date - Spring 2026
- Construction manager - Ellis Don
- Achitect - Nycum and Associates
The new emergency department will be constructed on the north side of the existing IWK Children's Building on University Avenue next to the exisiting public parkade.
- Three triage rooms
- 24 private examination rooms
- Two trauma/resuscitation rooms
- Four mental health and addictions care rooms
- Mental health day room
- Dedicated x-ray room
- CT scanner in close proximity for emergency use
- Double ambulance bay
- Central communication station with three additional satellite stations
Improved space for Mental Health and Addictions
- Separate waiting spaces
- Discreet police and EHS entrance
- Noise minimization strategies
- Natural light
- Provate interview rooms
Video & Photo Gallery
Follow along with our construction journey. Behind-the-scenes videos and photos will be shared with patients and families on a regular basis throughout the construction process.
The EMERGE Campaign
The IWK Foundation is privileged to work in partnership with IWK Health, the Province of Nova Scotia and our community of donors on the redevelopment of the new IWK Emergency Department. The IWK Foundation’s goal is to raise an additional $26.5 million to support the purchase of specialized equipment as well as specific facility upgrades, enhancements and research.
We are proud that donors will play an integral and essential role in bringing this new ED to the standard that Maritime patients and families have come to rely on and expect, ensuring the delivery of world-class emergency care across the province and beyond. With your help, the IWK Foundation will ensure excellence in the quality of emergency care and services for Maritime children and youth.
In February 2021 the Government of Nova Scotia approved funding for a new pediatric emergency department for the IWK. Projected to cost $102 million, the IWK's new emergency department will replace the exisiting department which opened in 1992.
In recent years, the IWK emergency department has seen a significant increase in patient and family visits that now average over 34 thousand per year. The current pediatric emergency department is too small and its physical space has become dated and limited for the volumes of annual visits and the teritary care complexity of many patients.
In order for the IWK to meet demand for services and ensure the provision of safe, efficient and high quality emergency care for children and youth a redeveloped pediatric emergency department is vital.
The IWK pediatric emergency department redevelopment project will:
- Keep pace with an evolving patient population
- Provide private and confidential patient care
- House a purpose-built mental health and addictions treatment area
- Meet infection control standards
- Create a safe working environment for patients and staff
- Provide an efficient work space
- Allow for innovations in patient care
The new pediatric emergency department is scheduled to open in Spring 2025.