IWK Lab Services provides a wide range of laboratory services that support physicians and other health care providers with diagnosing and monitoring children and women from throughout Atlantic Canada.
How we help
IWK Labs collects or receives samples for investigation, and we perform analyses using many different methods and types of equipment. The samples may be collected by skilled IWK staff or referred in from other health care facilities for analysis. A few of these tests are not actually performed at the IWK Laboratory, but are referred to the NSH Laboratory or to esoteric testing laboratories throughout the world. Laboratory professionals will also alert clinicians if results are critical to the delivery of patient care.
- Lab services and procedures include:
- Outpatient blood collection and specimen drop off services
- Screening for diabetes during and after pregnancy
- Core Laboratory: rapid response and high volume chemistry, hematology, urinalysis, blood bank product issuing.
- Immunohematology: blood microscopy, special hematology, blood bank testing
- Microbiology: bacteriology, serology, parasitology, mycology
- Shared Instrumentation: automated testing across laboratory disciplines, biochemical genetics
- Clinical Genomics: Combined genetics lab specializing in DNA testing and chromosome analysis
- Anatomic Pathology: histopathology, immunohistochemistry, electron microscopy, of surgical and post-mortem specimens
Tests available at the IWK include:
- Special Stains
- Fluorescent Antibody Panel
- Web-Test Information
- Antibody Menu
- Microbiology Test
IWK Lab Services consists of a dedicated team of well-trained professionals, including:
- Medical Laboratory Technologists
- Medical Laboratory Assistants
- Clinical Chemists
- Molecular Biologists