Guidelines for special visitor requests
- Applications must be submitted at least two weeks prior to your proposed date. All requests must be approved in advance by Child Life Services.
- Any media requests must be approved at least one week prior to the event through the Public Relations Department. All press releases must be submitted and media access to hospital events is not guaranteed and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Entertainer and event criteria
- Entertainers must be at least 18 years of age.
- Visit duration is to be between 30-60 minutes.
- Event content must be politically and religiously neutral.
- No fire, weapons, scary costumes, or themes such as death, violence, or illness.
- Latex balloons and live animals are not permitted in the hospital.
- All members of your group must not have been exposed to chicken pox or be exhibiting any signs or symptoms of colds and flus including but not limited to runny nose, coughing, sore throat, vomiting, or diarrhea. If any symptoms are present, please reschedule your event or ask the affected person not to participate.
- Photography and videotaping of patients, families, and the hospital are not permitted unless approved by the Child Life Department prior to the event. Any photography or videography that has been approved will be done in the presence of a representative of the Public Affairs Department.
- The selling of materials such as CDs, books etc. is not permitted.
On the day of your visit
- The most successful events are those that are engaging and invite the children to participate such as singing, playing instruments, and asking open-ended questions.
- Approach the children slowly and with care. Gauge the child’s level of comfort and do not persist if it is resulting in stress.
- Keep conversations to day-to-day topics such as hobbies, sports and entertainment, or the weather.
- For privacy and confidentiality, do not ask about their illness. Should this information be disclosed voluntarily by the child or a family member, do not discuss this with anyone inside or outside of the hospital.
- We are not able to guarantee the numbers of participants but will encourage children who are able to attend.
Entertainment Request Application (Child Life)
Thank you for your interest in providing entertainment for the patients at The IWK Health Centre. Please review the above guidelines carefully before submitting an application.
Due to staff availability, there are only certain times we can accommodate special visitors. Please know that there are a limited number of open slots each month. Slots are filled on a first come, first served basis.
All applications will be reviewed for appropriateness of activity, size and ages of the visiting group, and scheduling availability. Completion of an application does not guarantee acceptance or scheduling of a visit; however, we will do everything possible to accommodate your request.
Please submit details about your proposed entertainment at IWK Health. Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory.
Please note, due to staffing and volunteer resources, please contact our Special Events Coordinator at 902-470-8426 for the times when we can accommodate your special event.