Testing centre is now closed
The IWK COVID-19 testing centre is now closed. Testing continues to be offered at various locations throughout the province. Visit www.nshealth.ca/coronavirustesting for information and booking directions.
Swish & Gargle Test
Children or youth 4-18 years old may be able to have the gargle test if able to
- swish salty water in the mouth, then
- gargle with the salty water, and do both steps 3 times then
- spit the salty water into a container
- Remember not to brush teeth, eat, drink or chew gum for one hour before your test.
- Younger children do best when they practice these steps at home with water.
- Do not practice for two hours before the test as this would affect the sample.
Please review the Swish & Gargle Instruction Sheet (.pdf)
Nose Swab Test
A nose swab can be used for anyone (all ages) needing a Covid-19 test.
A nose swab will be used for infants and young children (less than 4 years old) or when a child/youth cannot swish and gargle.
Please review the IWK Comfort Promise COVID-19 Rapid Testing Toolkit (.pdf)
This video from BC Children’s Hospital shows how a nose swab is done and things to do to make it easier: